Pages

Saturday, April 02, 2011

Sun Warmed Soil and Song Filled Skies

I felt the sun before I saw it. Light drifting lazily through the slats of the blinds falling gently onto the duvet, tickling my eyelids with the warmth that only sunlight brings. Warmth that envelopes the soul and sings of better days coming. I hear the birds celebrating with song and know when I get to my garden, there will be new buds reaching towards the light. What a blessing that this, our first true day of sun, falls on my day off gifting me with the opportunity get my hands dirty . I filled the feeders and was soon rewarded with juncos, house finches, goldfinches, bushtits, and chickadees eating with abandon, squabbling for rights to eat, and building nests in the nearby cedar trees.






My lettuce garden has sprouted and in a few weeks, there will be no more need to buy salad greens at the market.


The weeds are out of the new herb garden and to my delight, it looks like 21 lavenders made it through this rainy year without getting their feet too wet. The only thing left to do is to mow, but I haven't yet enjoyed the newly grown grass, making it easiy to delay. As for the backyard, this may be the year I create my "natural" lawn, simply seeding wildflowers rather than pollute the air with engine exhaust.


The cherry tree is blossoming with abandon...


Everything is filled with buds and blossoms and color and shouting that spring has finally arrived.

2 comments:

Createology said...

What a glorious day filled with sunshine and birds and happy plants. So glad you got to enjoy it all. Happy Spring and Birds Who Sing...

Michele R. Unger said...

What wonderful photos! I'm happy for you that your lavender made it through. I lost a couple, but like you, most of mine made it, too.