Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Winter Writings: Day 37

Ah, my first born boy child
my mule stubborn kid
who hides his soft heart
and curious nature
under a studied mask of
non-chalance.
You don't fool me
with your daredevil stunts
and far flung travels.
Who once wrote a poem
that still makes the
heron come alive in my heart.
Even now
when you rush
to embrace the world,
I know you will always possess
those 10 perfect toes
and sea blue eyes
that foreve captured my heart
on the day you entered the world.

3 comments:

lulu moonwood murakami said...

This makes me wish I had a son... Beautiful, heartfelt poetry.

Jan Harris Smith said...

Thanks so much for your kind words and for taking the time to read my writings!

Michele R. Unger said...

Oh,Jan! What a moving, honest, true tribute to your son! Your words resonate in me so strongly, especially the "mule stubbon" part! Thank you for saying so well what I cannot.

I miss you.

Shelley